Re: Label's and things

Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 15:22 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
I grow tired of all the Label things going on in Fedora now.

I don't really see why it has to be worse.  /dev/hda1 only means
something if I always have *that* drive plugged in as the primary
master.  That's fairly likely, but less likely with /dev/sdc1 (if you
have removeable external drives).
When I use "fdisk" to Print the drive hda and hdb and hdc... I want my label to be what it tells me.

On the contrary, LABEL=fred/boot (where "fred" is what I've called one
of my Seagate drives, and texta-written the name on the drive, itself),
means that I can plug it in anywhere, and find it by that label.  I
don't have to figure out if it's attached at /dev/hda1, /dev/hdb1,
or /dev/sdd1, and so on.  Likewise, LABEL=fred-swap means that it uses
that swap partition, and not the wrong one, on multi-disc systems.
What can the LABEL software do to find the moved hard drive that I can't? I really do not know how it can do that. Also now days all the new drives are via USB.

Not using a multi-disc system?  Well you're prepared for it in the
future.  You might need to plug in another drive to recover some data,
and you've one less headache to sort out, *then*.

    My original fstab looks like this:

LABEL=/1234             /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=+`àQñGM@O2RÕ{ÏA   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
LABEL=ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

The swap listings were ugly!

Label things yourself.  Read man mkswap.

I will read man mkswap and hold things open until I understand that... :-)

...[snip fstab and grub.conf using device names instead of labels]...

I have rebooted with all these changes and it comes up just as well as always. Unless someone thinks this is real bad I will continue with the project.

In themselves, that's fine.  I've done the same in the past.  The
problems you *may* come across are when you have to plug another drive
in, at the same time, or plug this drive in another place.

Karl