Re: desktop-effects with Gnome and KDE on F7

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 19:47 +1000, Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
> I have just enabled desktop effects on Gnome in F7. (Well, prior to
> that, I have to add that Composite extension and add the line to omit
> xfree86-dga in xorg.conf ... then install the various berly packages).
>
> I can see the wobbling effects on the windows in Gnome ... but I could
> not figure out how to actually have the cube workspaces ( I have both
> wobbling effects and cube workspace checkboxes enabled ). Do I need to
> do something else ?

If you try to drag a window off the left or right of the screen, does
the screen whiz around to put it on another pane?

I get variable results with it.  Sometimes each desktop seems to get a
cube each, sometimes dragging things over the edge puts it onto the next
desktop (the cube's four sides are the four desktops).

> If I use KDE instead, I don't get the wobbling effects, but I do
> recognise that menus are somewhat animated ( drawn from small, then
> bigger and bigger until it reaches its normal size ), or a sliding
> effect. All of this is actual fast, so perhaps the only reason I
> noticed it was because I was conscious that I enabled desktop effects
> in Gnome.

I haven't tried it in KDE.  In Gnome, I did see a slowness of menus
fading up and a bit of a wobble too them.  I dislike this sort of thing.
I want to use a menu *immediately*, not click and wait, hover over and
wait.

I'll have to see if I can disable that, yet still keep the windows
thumbnailing feature.

Surprisingly the wobbling windows as you move them actually seems easier
on the eyes than rapidly dragging a window across the screen (big chunky
jumps rather than a motion blur).

> What other "effects" could I do ?

I was advised to look through gconf earlier today (inside it, look
through /apps/compiz/).  That's chiefly for Gnome, though.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.