DVI output, ATI or nVidia: back to the main point

Hi,

Thanks everybody for all the useful mails about open source/binary drivers.
My original point was:

1)I'm running X on a laptop with an ATI card (for which there must be
some sort of open source driver, since X works without fglrx).
2)ATI has dropped support for my graphics card in the latest releases
of their driver (the laptop was not even 3 years old, when it
happened)
3)The last fglrx supporting my card does not work with the latest
version of the kernel
4)Because of that, I cannot use the S-Video output any more (there is
a driver called GATOS, but I've never managed to make it work)
5)I don't want it to happen again with the PC I'm about to buy.

From all the mails, and some goggleing, I've understood that Intel
produces cards that are fully supported by Linux, while nVidia's are
better (if you use a binary only driver).

Since I want to

1) watch movies
2) watch movies on an external TV via DVI or S-Video (e.g. BBC HD,
from a DVB-T card)
3) not much else

I think Intel is good enough.