Virtual Machines/Emulators

I recently developed a desire to run some emulators under Linux,
and consequently have run some of them. Here are my opinions of them,
based on install, ease of use, and speed of emulation.

The emulators I tried are DOSEMU + Freedos, BOCHS + MSDOS 6.22, and
QEMU + MSDOS 6.22. I found that each had advantages and disadvantages.
I also ran MSDOS 6.0 natively.

Two machines were used. One is an AMD 586 with 16MB of RAM and a
160 MHz processor. Another is a Presario with a 2.7 GHz Celeron.
The AMD was used only for running MSDOS 6.0 natively. The Celeron
was used to run the emulators with Linux, and also to do some
native MSDOS 6.0.

        install share   speed   CPU     hardware        soft    events
DOSEMU  easy    easy    fast    low     Intel only      not all no
BOCHS   hard    hard    v.slow  high    Intel only      all     yes
QEMU    hard    hard    slow    high    multiple        all     no

install:  ease of installation
share:    ease of sharing files between emulation and Linux
speed:    speed of emulation
CPU:      how much CPU does the emulation burn
hardware: emulates other than Intel hardware
soft:     runs all software
events:   supports emulating hardware events

QEMU runs something like 5x to 10x as fast as BOCHS. DOSEMU runs
40x to 50x as fast as QEMU.

BOCHS allows one to emulate various hard drives down to the
level of CHS.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.