Re: smolt stale profiles

Mike McGrath wrote:
Mike C wrote:
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath <at> redhat.com> writes:

http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/delete?UUID=YOURUUID Unfortunately we can't use the hardware UUID of your system for privacy issues, so whenever a fresh install happens, the old profile will remain.

Thanks Mike - that is what I was afraid you might say - if the majority of people do not bother to remove old profiles after installing new versions of Fedora then over a period more and more old, but no longer relevant, profiles will build up and therefore the statistics will contain a smaller and smaller fraction of live machines in its database. It is therefore important to remove such old
profiles in order to keep the statistics synced to real machines?

We also track when the last checkin was. Those enabling smolt's checkin (which happens automatically when you install via anaconda and send your profile) will keep a fresh profile. This will allow us to say "only select profiles that checked in in the last 8 months) which would ignore older stale profiles. Its the best we can do without causing privacy issues.

Is a one way hardware hash really a big privacy concern? After all smolt is purely optional. One way hash would improve the accuracy of the stats nicely.

Rahul