Re: Where is the root password?

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 12:19 +0200, pk_melb_oz wrote:
> I am trying to install Fedora on a pentium 5 using (F-7-i386-DVD.iso).
> All works OK, but I seem to have missed the part where I get to set
> the root password. My installation seems to have worked OK. I can log
> on with a user I created during the installation, however, with no
> root permissions.

I don't see how.  You *have* to enter one as part of the installation
process.  It won't proceed until you do.  Perhaps you used the same
password for both, or slightly mistyped it?

This message has shades of, "how do I hack someone else's box?"

> Is there a default root password that comes with the install?

No.

Bootup in single-user mode (hit a key to temporarily edit the GRUB
booting parameter when the GRUB screen appears, follow the on-screen
instructions, prepend a space and a number one on the end of the kernel
line, carry on booting).  When done, you're logged in as root without a
password.  Set a password (read "man password" to work out how).

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.