Re: recommendations for a 64-bit laptop with ECC memory?

I think you're missing the point here.
ECC ram will not guard against failures, it will simply reduce the probability of a failure. In other words, it just prolongs the inevitable. You have to ask yourself, how important will it be that the data is calculated with absolute precision? If it's absolutely essential, just get two different-architecture/build machines and check that both answers match before believing either one (I think that's what they do for ISS and shuttles :) There's a further complication if you don't want to recompute again if the answers mismatched - use three machines and decide using majority rule.

Globe Trotter wrote:
Hi,

I did post about this a couple of weeks ago, and got a few responses.
Basically, I am looking for a 64-bit laptop, high performance, high memory,
etc, to run Linux and most likely F. Dell's Latitude D830 was suggested here,
but it turns out that the memory it comes with is non-ECC, but DDR2. I don't
know much about DDR2, but shouldn't ECC memory be important for me since I will
be using it for scientific calculations? I am looking at a laptop with 4GB RAM.

Any help or other suggestions?
Many thanks and best wishes,
Trotter

Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search