Re: importing keys in to apt-get

On Saturday 23 June 2007 14:14, Scott Berry wrote:
> How do I import the keys for the packages in apt-get it says it doesn't
> have them?  Thanks much.
>

> Scott

Hi Scott. Which keys are you talking about? The ones for the three default
repositories set up in /etc/apt/sources.list.d? I've found that when you run
apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade for the first time, and there are
updates available, you are told that the key is not installed, do you want to
install it? A yes/no reply is required, and a yes installs the key. The same
goes for the extras repo. You want to install a package from the extras repo,
and this is the first time you've used it. Again you are asked if you want to
install the key for the extras repo. Yes/no again, and a yes installs the key
for the extras repo, and then the install of your package continues.

If you are talking about GPG keys for third party repositories that you have
entered URL's for in /etc/apt/sources.list, then you need to download the
keys, and install them manually. At least that is the way I do it. I download
them to my /home/user directory, and put them in a directory named Keys.

To install them I open the CLI, cd to the directory where the keys are, su to
root, and run the command.
rpm --import <key name>  ( where keyname is the filename of the key).

For example, you want to get packages from Freshrpms for F7. Go to.
http://moonshine.freshrpms.net

Just below the "Freshrpms" logo, click on "apt, yum, and others"

Scroll down a bit to "Configuration files", and click on the "apt build page"

First item on the list is the GPG key. Click on it, and save it to your Keys
directory, if that is what you've named it. Now select "sources.list.i386, if
you're using i386 architecture, and open it with a text editor. Now the page
is way out of date, and the latest URL listed is for Fedora Core 2.
Nevertheless the line is the same, but just change the 2, for a 7. Now the
line looks like.

rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/7/i386 core updates freshrpms

Just copy and paste the line above to your /etc/apt/sources.list

So far so good. Install the GPG key for freshrpms, as mentioned above for
installing GPG keys.

Now run apt-get update, and the freshrpms repo should show up on the list of
accessed repo's. If you want to install something from the repo, let's say
the "lame" package, which allows you to save music files as .mp3's.

apt-get install lame

Job done.

Sometimes the keys are difficult to find. With one repo the key was right at
the bottom of the webpage for the site, but you do need to install them, as
they verify that the packages you are installing are genuine.

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit. Just trying to help.

Nigel.