Re: Bind still not allowing local network

"Murray, WJ \(Bill\)" <W.J.Murray@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Hello there,
      I am still unable to run a DNS service from F7 for my home network.
Since my last post I have found the listen-on option, which  seems to allow bind/named
to respond to queries of the type:
    host XXXXX 168.254.0.1
   when issued from the server. But not when issued from somewhere else on the network.
I just get " connection timed out; no servers could be reached"
   Any clues PLEASE?
    Bill
The pertinent parts of my /etc/named.conf look like:

acl "trusted" {
       localhost;
       192.168.0.0/16;
       72.19.169.230;
};

zone "local.davenjudy.org" IN {
       type master;
       file "local.davenjudy.org";
       allow-query {
               trusted;
       };
       allow-update {
               trusted;
       };
};

zone "168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
       type master;
       file "192.168";
       allow-query {
               trusted;
       };
       allow-update {
               trusted;
       };
};

You need something like the "allow-update" clauses if you are running dhcp and want to have local systems to have their DNS information entered by dhcpd. There was a discussion back a while ago on an alternative way of specifying this but that's as much as I remember at the moment.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce