Re: Livna nVidia problems...

On 6/23/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim:
>> But have NVidia stopped doing that thing where they mucked up other
>> aspects of Xorg to suit themselves?  That stung me badly when I had
>> to pull out a NVidia card to try another one, and Xorg was buggered.

Gene Heskett:
> I don't believe so.  During the install it would appear it puts its
> own OpenGL stuffs in, and runs ldconfig to fix the links.  If that is
> what it takes to make it work, shrug.

Grr, sods!  Some might think that not an issue, since you don't change
graphic cards that much, usually.  But you may if you test people's
machines.  And the same issue bites you if you try to go back to the
open source nv driver to get around something you can't get to work with
the nvidia driver (I experienced that, myself).

nvidia-installer --uninstall
puts everything back where it was prior to installing the nvidia
driver.  This is documented.