Re: Why are some having so much trouble with F7?

On 6/23/07, Eric <spamsink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been lurking and occasionally posting here since F7 came out, and it
has got me to wondering... Why are some people having so much trouble with F7?

My installation was a fresh installation on a reformatted and
re-partitioned hard drive, and other than a few minor quirks (things
creating users in the wrong UID space; the screen blanks after non-use even
when I don't want it to; some conflicts in installation that were a bit of
a PITA to fix), all of which have been fixed thanks to you guys here in
this forum, everything has pretty much just dropped into place and Just Works.

I'm not doing anything very fancy... one of my two F7 installations is a
web, FTP, and MySQL server and the other is a VMware Workstation "guest" OS
with which so far I've just been doing basic stuff, nothing that requires
ultra-high-resolution 3D graphics or anything like that..  And, I have no
fancy or exotic peripherals; specifically, the server uses a Matrox display
card that historically has been one of the better-supported display cards.

Does most trouble arise from trying to upgrade FC6 installations rather
than installing fresh?  Have most problems arisen from the use of
less-well-known hardware whose support is limited or perhaps broken?  Is it
in the high-resolution graphics arena (CAD, games) where most of the
problems arise?

For me, F7 is working great!  Way to go, F7 team!  Ya done good.  :-)

The installation DVD simply does not install anything here 8and in
many places). The problem is caused by the fact that the F7 kernels
are too buggy... With a yum installation, F7 gets installed, but to
boot in it, one has to have the FC6 kernel installed and selected.

Paul