Re: Screensaver disabled, screen still blanks

On Friday 22 June 2007 03:33, Eric wrote:
> At 05:44 PM 6/21/2007, Nigel Henry wrote:
>
> <NH>>>>>I don't know if this is any help, but DPMS (display power
> management signalling) may be the problem. On FC5, commenting out the line
> "Options  "DPMS" in the monitor section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, resolved the
> problem,<<<<<
>
> Good evening, Nigel.
>
> Yes, that did the trick for FC5, thanks.  One down and one to go.  :-)
>
> On F7 there is no Options DPMS line in xorg.conf, so nothing to comment
> out.
>
> <NH>>>>>Commenting out that line in FC6 did not work, and  neither in
> Debian Lenny after some X updates. I use KDE, and have put a simple script
> in ~/.kde/autostart on Debian Lenny. This runs xset -dpms, which disables
> DPMS when you login, see below.<<<<<
>
> Do I just put a script in there and name it anything I want, or do I need
> to give it a specific name?
>
> I put one in there for F7 called noblank, made it executable by everybody,
> so I'll see what happens.

Hi Eric. Glad the fix worked on FC5.
You can name the script whatever you like, as KDE's autostart just looks for
scripts to run in the Autostart directory.

I havn't tried it on F7, as I'm still downloading the cd iso's, but presume it
will work on that, as it does on FC6, and Debian Lenny.

Have a look at the man page for xset, and to try it out, just run xset -dpms
as user on the CLI, then run xset q , which will show the status of dpms,
amongst other stuff.  Xset commands are not permanent, and will reset to the
default settings when the Xserver is restarted, which is why I've used the
script in KDE's Autostart.

Hope it works for you on F7.

Nigel.