Re: Amanda Client Fails on F7

On Thursday 21 June 2007, Charles Curley wrote:
>I have finally felt brave enough to try installing F7 on my backup
>server. I copied in the working FC6 amanda configuration, and diffed
>it against the provided sample. As far as I can tell the setup should
>work. However, I get a "no ACK" error message:

>[root@charlesc ~]# su - amanda
>-bash-3.2$ /usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /crc/back/amanda: 95 GB disk space available, using 30 GB as
> requested slot 12: read label `DailySet1_12', date `20070620'
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>Tape DailySet1_12 label ok
>Server check took 0.232 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>WARNING: charlesc.localdomain: selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for
> ACK Client check: 3 hosts checked in 30.148 seconds, 1 problem found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.1p3)
>
>charlesc is both server and client. I get ACKs from other clients on
>the net. nf_conntrack_amanda is installed:

>[root@charlesc ~]# lsmod | grep amanda
>nf_conntrack_amanda     9088  0
>nf_conntrack           61576  9
> nf_conntrack_tftp,nf_conntrack_amanda,ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat,nf_nat,nf_
>conntrack_ftp,nf_conntrack_netbios_ns,nf_conntrack_ipv4,xt_state
>
>xinetd is running, and the amanda service looks like so:

>[root@charlesc ~]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
># default: off
>#               This must be on for systems being backed up\
>#               by Amanda.
>service amanda
>{
>        disable = no
>        socket_type             = dgram
>        protocol                = udp
>        wait                    = yes
>        user                    = amanda
>        group                   = disk
>        server                  = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
># Configure server_args for the authentication type you will be using,
># and the services you wish to allow the amanda server and/or recovery
># clients to use.
>#
># Change the -auth= entry to reflect the authentication type you use.
># Add amindexd to allow recovery clients to access the index database.
># Add amidxtaped to allow recovery clients to access the tape device.
>#       server_args             = -auth=bsd amdump
>}

if this is all the amanda stuff in /etc/xinetd.d, you are missing 2 other
files, or they can all me in one merged file as xinetd doesn't care.  I
merged all mine years ago, and it looks like this now:

--------------------------------
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
	only_from	= coyote.coyote.den
	disable		= no
	socket_type	= dgram
	protocol	= udp
	wait		= yes
	user		= amanda
	group		= disk
	groups		= yes
	server		= /usr/local/libexec/amandad
	server_args	= -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
}
service amandaidx
{
	disable	= no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
	disable	= no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}
-----------------------------

>I commented out the "server_args" line; it does not seem to make a
>difference.

You will need that with later versions of amanda, and those arguments it
points at must be correct.

>Relevant portions of the firewall, which is also copied over from the
>known working FC6 installation:

># Amanda ports
>-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 10080 -j
> ACCEPT -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m state --state NEW -m udp --dport
> 10080 -j ACCEPT -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp
> --dport 10082 -j ACCEPT -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW
> -m tcp --dport 10083 -j ACCEPT
>
>Packages installed are:

>[root@charlesc ~]# pre amanda
>amanda-client-2.5.1p3-1.fc7
>amanda-server-2.5.1p3-1.fc7
>amanda-2.5.1p3-1.fc7

Humm, no comment there.  I haven't touched an amanda rpm in years since the
rpm cannot duplicate the required build environment amanda is designed to
use.  Currently running the build from this tarball:
amanda-2.5.2-20070606.tar.gz, configured and built by this short script that
has not been edited in about 2 years now:
---------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
	echo
	echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
	echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
	echo "but must be installed by user root."
	echo
	exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
	--with-group=disk \
	--with-owner=amanda \
	--with-gnu-ld \
	--prefix=/usr/local \
	--with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
	--with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
	--with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
	--with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
	--with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
	--with-config=Daily \
	--with-gnutar=/bin/tar

make
using virtual tapes, adjust to suit.  Run this, then become root to do
the 'make install;ldconfig;su amanda -c "amcheck Daily"'

And it Just Works(TM), snapshot after snapshot as I stay just in reach of the
bleeding edge, so it hopefully works for you.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It depends on how many bad ones he brought with him.