Re: OT: Apt-get vs YUM?

On 6/21/07, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kam Leo wrote:

[ I Wrote ]

>> > I think when people say things like this
>> > they should at least state what argument they gave to google,
>> > or what FC6 archives they are talking about.
>> >
>> > If you cannot give reasonably precise information,
>> > it is better to give none.
>> >

> The subject has been covered after every Fedora release. Here are just
> two threads:

Ok, I read both of those threads, and neither of them
addressed my question as asked.

My question is not, as you seem to think

"Which is better for me, apt-get or yum?"

My question is

"What are the considerations (advantages/disadvantages of each package)
which enter into such a judgement?"

Neither of those threads addressed the question I asked. Each of them
mentioned that such considerations exist, neither detailled what
they might be.

Mike

It's a matter of preference.

Yum: Has least built-in features of the three package managers
referenced. Over time plugins have filled in the gap. The plugins are
not in my opinion well integrated into the main application and, with
the exception of installonlyn, are separately installed.  Can not
comment much on the GUI helper application, yumex, since I don't use
it. Yum's main advantage is that has been chosen as the update manager
for Fedora; thus, ensuring that it gets developer resources.

Apt: A well integrated product with more built-in features than yum.
GUI helper application is synaptic (quite good in my opinion). Major
draw to use apt/apt-get in the past was that some applications were
only available from third-party apt-enabled repositories. If I recall
correctly, apt does not have prioritization of repositories. One has
to go out of one's way to install apt/apt-get and configure
third-party repositories.

Smart: New kid on the block. Still in beta. Feature rich. First to
impliment repo prioritization. Has smart-gui which is similar to
synaptic. Supports about every repo/packaging format available.
Downloads packages faster than either yum or apt. Like apt one has to
go out of one's way to install smart and configure third-party
repositories.