Re: spam

Around 06:07pm on Thursday, June 21, 2007 (UK time), maillist@xxxxxxx scrawled:

> I did not realise until I checked one of my spam filters today how much
> spam I was receiving because I have posted on this list.  Someone on the
> list seems to feel it is a demonstration of their IT skill to be able to
> harvest email addresses on a mail list.

If you can only see the problem by checking your "spam filters", why is
this a problem.

> Un-subscribing from this may not be  much of  a loss to to the list but,
> when some person decides to use the list to troll for email addresses to
> spam the simplest thing to do is just stop using the email address I use
> for the list.
> Spammers misuse of internet features such as mail lists are effectively
> killing other users enjoyment and use of  the net.

No its the idiots that respond to spam that are to blame.

I had an ever worsening problem with spam up to a couple of months ago,
even with spamassassin running on my mail server.  I then implemented
greylisting (milter-greylist) and have been stunned at how effective it
is.  I recommend it to anyone who has a problem with spam.

Sometimes I just sit and watch my /var/log/maillog for hours - seeing
greylisting rejecting 95% of the spam, and spammassassin dealing with
the remaining 5% :-)

Steve