Re: Livna Nvidia with Kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7

On 6/20/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:21:53AM +0100, ne... wrote:
<snipp>

No, not quite. lspci tells me:

[root@phoenix ~]# lspci | grep -i '01:00.0'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] (rev a3)

Assuming that the NVxx numbers are ordinal, that tells me that it is
an NX17, which is less than NV30. However, it also tells me that the
card is a GeForce4, presumably greater than a GeForce2. So which is
it?
I would go with the NVxx which seems to be chipset designations. I
have an FX5200.

Part of the confusion stems from having multiple numbering sequences:
the NVxx, the GeForceX, and then the MX xxx series. Which one is
authoritative? The only thing that should be consistent across all
cards is the PCI card identifier, assuming that NVIDIA Corp. complies
with the relevant PCI standard.
I would go with the NVxx.

Also, the description is badly written. It says that this package
supports "NV30 (FX series) and newer". It then goes on to say that
"NV30 and below (such as GeForce2) are NOT supported by this release."
So does this version support NV30 or not?
Your guess is as good as mine. I guess the writer was not a native
English speaker.

Finally, the good folks at Livna didn't mention any of this in their
writeup at http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/LivnaSwitcher, so I had no
reason to do an "rpm -qif" or even a "yum info" on them.

Where did you get those packages? They don't show up when I ran "yum
list \*nvidia\*".
I downloaded them soon after FC7 was released from livna. They have
since been updated.

ne...
Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.