Re: Gcc problem on FC6

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 14:57 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> Markku Kolkka wrote:
> > Les kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai 19 kesäkuu 2007):
> >> So just to prove that this didn't change anything I tried:
> >> gcc -L X11 GuiExample.cpp
> >
> > The option is "-lX11", not "-L X11". Linux is case sensitive and
> > spaces are also significant.
> >
> >> I am sorry, and this is probably clear to some of you, but I
> >> am at a loss to understand why this doesn't work.  If I use
> >> gcc, the presence or absence of a library .a or .so shouldn't
> >> matter since the compiler should create the link chain based
> >> on the extern definition, which could be resolved at load
> >> time.
> >
> > The extern definition doesn't tell which library contains the
> > symbol, just the function prototype or variable declaration.
> > _You_ must tell the compiler which libraries to link in order to
> > resolve the references.
> >

> Actually, in this case, case is important but spaces are not
> significant; -l X11 or -lX11 will will work.

Thanks, John,
	I am getting closer.  This gave me:
gcc -l X11 GuiExample.cpp
/tmp/ccMKt1MK.o:(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to
`__gxx_personality_v0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So now there is an internal reference that is messed up, and that could
be a difference in library constructs.  I will check the source code and
see what it offers for a solution to this issue.

Regards,
Les H