Re: Running X in runlevel 3

Chris Jones <jonesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On limited hardware that could be reason alone to use startx from 3.
Does this really make a difference ? I accept it saves one login screen, but surely once you have logged on this screen is forgotten and your preferred session (KDE,gnome or whatever) is started.

Your argument that it helps on low end machines only makes sense to me if the login screen is somehow 'remembered' after log on, so still using system resources. I really doubt this is the case in which case I doubt, once you have your desktop session running it really makes a difference whether you went via the standard login window (init 5 if you like) or startx from init 3?
I strongly recommend the "start in run level 3" approach to anyone having trouble getting their video setup configured. That way ctrl-alt-backspace can kill the X session if the need arises and you don't end up with X cycling until you reboot. I got into the habit of starting in run level 3 when I first tried Linux with Red Hat Linux 5.0. I think my current installs to my laptop and workstation are the first time I've ever left the graphical login in place.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce