Re: tons of spam - refocussed on evolution.

From: "Aaron Konstam" <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

But all this misses the essential point I was trying to make but
obviously not well enough:
1. Evolution is removing spam and places the result into junk but not
very effectively.
2. The Bayes databases keep getting updated .
3. Messages don't get the headers I would expect from spamassassin.
4. My user_prefs file says Spam should have its header altered by
inserting the word SPAM in the subject line. That does not happen.

Something is wrong with the way evolution (or at least my evolution) is
using spam. Does anyone know what is wrong?

SpamAssassin rules:
# How many hits before a mail is considered spam.
required_hits           5.0
rewrite_header Subject     *****SPAM***** _SCORE(00)_ **

The first line tells SA to declare loudly that the message is spam.
The second tells SA the way to declare loudly that a message is spam.
It gives a distinctive header with a 3 (!) digit score in the header.
Since all spams come in marked that way I sort them to the spam folder
as I drag them off the MTA via DoveCot. Then I can sort by subject in
the spam folder and get a sort by score. That makes looking through
spam for something mismarked a breeze.

(It is also fun to watch your maximum scores and admire how inept the
average spammer can be.)

{^_-}