Re: Running X in runlevel 3

Eric wrote:

If the system boots up in runlevel 3, it goes into text (command line) mode; if runlevel 5, it goes into graphics (X) mode.

Now, I can start up the system in runlevel 3 (by editing /etc/inittab) and then start X with "startx". That's usually what I do, since much of what I do is in text mode so there's sometimes not necessarily much point in starting X unless I need it.

Is there any significance to the fact that X is still running in runlevel 3? I know there may be some services that get started in runlevel 5 but not in runlevel 3. Are there any services that may not get started up in runlevel 3 that I should make sure are running if I'm going to run X?

Is there any particular benefit to starting X by saying "init 5" rather than "startx" from runlevel 3? (Although, I can only do that as the superuser...)

chkconfig --list | grep 3:on
chkconfig --list | grep 5:on

On my box, these commands give the same output, so there are no extra services started at runlevel 5.

I always start the box in runlevel 3 and use startx. So far, no problems. Of course, I don't get the shiny display manager screen.

Regards,

John