USB icon not appearing in notification applet

Hi all

A quick question, hopefully.

I just upgraded a FC5 system to FC6. In FC5 when I plugged in my USB mp3 player, the device icon showed up in the notification applet on the main menu bar. With FC6, the icon is only showing up on my desktop. I have another FC6 system wherein the icon shows up in the notification area, so I know it could do that.

Any pointers as to how this works so as I can figure out what might be missing or wrong would be appreciated.

Philip