Re: tons of spam

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 12:46:26AM -0400, George wrote:
You are joking right?

You use your main email address on an open public list and then you blame
Red Hat / Fedora for the increase in the spam reaching your system?

Take a walk to the bathroom and have a look in the mirror. You will then
see who is at fault.

Based on what you said, I'm not sure I want you using Fedora or any flavor
of Linux.  I feel you'd be better served using a Microsoft product.

Hey Ed,
First, I don't use MS for much, one out of 15 'puters we have are MS. All others are apple OSX (main boxes), apple os9, opensuse 10.*, freenas, and a few other Linux flavors along with a few bsd test boxes.
(like, my email domain didn't tell you?!)

I've been on many, many other lists and the host company keeps the addresses hidden. Why can't redhat do the same? Go to the suse or apple archives (or other linux flavors) and you can't see email addresses, so no email addresses get harvested. I'm one at least 8 other lists, this list is the most... open(?), by far. But on my part, my bad. I shouldn't have assumed...

As for your attitude, Yes, it was a bad idea to use a normal address for a list that has such an ass like you on it. What is wrong, can't you figure out how to make simple html links correctly in your own website?
http://www.greshko.com/

... never mind, forget it.

thanks,
G.

Mailman does obfusicate email addresses in its automatic archives:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-June/msg03880.html

however any number of subscribers can host a web archive using any ancient
mailing list to web generator (uh, hypermail? Eek!)  It was unfair of you to
blame redhat without first checking thier archives.

Chip

------
				**** Warning ****
This e-mail message, without warrant or warning, and despite US law as set
forth in the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, may be subject
to monitoring by the United States National Security Agency and/or the
Department of Defense. Information contained in this message may be used
against any senders or recipients, now or in the future, in a public trial
or secret tribunal.
                     Please encrypt anything important.
  PGP Key: http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6CFA486D