Re: How to use flash drive ?

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 16:21 -0400, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
Eureka, it works, I transferred the thunderbird Mail directory form this FC-6 box6 to the F-7 thunderbird on the old box10 and now it a clone of this one, mail filters and all!

So I have demonstrated, to myself, that I can do it with the flash drive despite its fat32 file system!

Remember to check permissions when you move file back off from FAT to
EXT3.  You probably don't want all your files and directories showing up
with permissions of:  rwxrwxrwx

and some programs will not work with the files if the permissions are wrong.

If you are going to move directories or file for Linux machines, it is a good idea to package them using tar or some other program that will preserve he permissions.

FWIW, I check the partitions of all my new flash sticks and if they do not show up properly, I delete the partitions and reformat as vfat. I also label my drives so they show up with a better ident on the desktop.

As an example.

   mkfs.vfat -n "Robin_4G_1" -c /dev/sda

Now the drive will mount with the name Robin_4G_1 on the desktop and in the media directory. Saves confusion when I have 3 or 4 sticks plugged in at once for work.

I also do this with my flash cards for my cameras.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.