Incoming IMAP Hackers?

As I sat in my office this morning perusing the interwebs, my server started making a lot of noise. (It has very noisy hard drives.) I looked in the logs and saw repeated requests to connect to my IMAP server using guessed user names. All the authentications were failing, but it increased the load on the poor box and delayed its responsiveness to me.

It was fairly simple to manually add an IPtable rule to block this one IP address, and the attack stopped.

But I cannot think of a reason someone would want access to IMAP accounts. What purpose would this serve?

Chris