Re: How to change user / group numbers in passwd/group?

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 18:04 -0400, Eric wrote:
> I am in the process of moving the content of an FC2 server to F7.  In the
> process, I have to establish some new users with user and group numbers 501
> and 502.
>
> Unfortunately, F7 in its infinite wisdom decided to assign 501 to user
> "tclhttpd" and 502 to user "dbmail" (whatever they might be).  (vigorously
> begging the question of WHY!!! in the world it did that...)  :-(
>
> If I can't assign 501 and 502 to the users and groups they were on the FC2
> machine, a LOT of permissions problems will be created in a fairly large
> and complex database and file structure.
>
> What is the "right" way to assign different numbers to existing users like
> "tclhttpd" and "dbmail"?  I know I can just go in there and edit passwd and
> group but no doubt that will cause all sorts of unknown problems elsewhere,
> for resources and files that depend on 501 and 502 being assigned to
> "tclhttpd" and "dbmail".  So, is there a "right" way that updates
> everything else to whatever new user numbers I assign?

Most likely you can change the uid in the passwd file without problems.
I have done that many times. I would change them to values below 500.
There are usually values that have not been assigned.
Why I Can't Go Out With You: I'd LOVE to, but... -- I've got a Friends
of the Lowly Rutabaga meeting. -- I promised to help a friend fold road
maps. -- I've been scheduled for a karma transplant. -- I'm staying home
to work on my cottage cheese sculpture. -- It's my parakeet's bowling
night. -- I'm building a plant from a kit. -- There's a disturbance in
the Force. -- I'm doing door-to-door collecting for static cling. -- I'm
teaching my ferret to yodel. -- My crayons all melted together.