Re: Is prelink really randomizing every two weeks?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:57:52 +1000
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> | Now that's a first for me.  And a rather clever idea indeed.
>
> It's a hideous idea. Email should just work. EVery stupid hack like this
> makes that harder for everyone.

Right up there with using non-standard pipe symbols for your quoting character,
perhaps?

I don't see how his idea makes it harder for anyone other than the spammers,
actually.  If you care enough to reply to his email, you must have actually
read what he wrote.  His email address is valid and properly included in his
message, along with "extra" instructions if such are required.

I see no problem with it, myself.  (And I run a couple of mailservers.)

> | The best one I've seen previously was setting your email address in newsgroups
> | to abuse@xxxxxxxxxxx, so the spammers would file their own complaints.  Your
> | idea is just as cute as that.
>
> Hmm, no, it's not as awful as that. That swamps the abuse@ addresses
> with crap, preventing them being used for genuine reports of trouble.
> Really clever - actively working to break a trouble reporting system.

Not really.  The abuse system gets emails from the spammer, blocks same.
Problem solved for everyone suing the original system, and it can even be
automated.

But come on, now... You gotta admit that his idea for an email address is very
clever, even if you don't agree with his method.