Re: Can't activate wlan0 in F7

On 17/06/07, Joe Jerome <jjerome1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Help!  We are trying to activate wlan0 on my son's laptop without
success.  We installed F7 from the KDE LiveCD.  Opening the Network
Device Control shows wlan0 inactive.  When trying to activate it, we
get:

  Cannot activate network device wlan0!

  Device wlan0 does not seem to be present,
  delaying installation.

Doing a 'dmesg | grep iwl3945' gives:

iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver
for Linux, 0.0.21kd
[snip]
I have not tried to configure or use wireless hardware before.
Not sure what else to try or check.  Suggestions?

Couple of things jump out at me - on a laptop you'd be better off
using the NetworkManager functionality rather than manually enabling
and disabling the device - you should be able to select your desired
wireless AP from the applet in the taskbar.

Also, iwl3945 is a buggy piece of crap currently, I have no idea why
it's even included in the F7 kernel - really, even if you had it
working it would crap out on you every 10 mins or so.

I'd advise installing the ipw3945 driver from freshrpms
(dkms-ipw3945). iwl3945 is a development driver, whereas ipw3945 is
the previous incarnation of the driver with a binary only daemon which
meant it couldn't be packaged in Fedora.