Re: Locale using system-config-language

Tim wrote:
I don't recall finding a way to do that.  However, the languages choice
on the GDM greeter screen (where you first login) lets you pick your
locale.  And does so, whether or not there's a specific language pack
installed for it.  e.g. You can set en-AU, and get it, even if there's
no Australian-specific English language pack on the box.

Thanks for that tip Tim, that does work well for me but of course that doesn't work when logging in on a VT. Curiously, if I edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n which currently contains:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"

and change SUPPORTED to:

SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en:en_GB.UTF-8"

then system-config-language lets me choose English (UK) and updates LANG to en_GB.UTF-8. Seems strange to me that in order to use a graphical tool you have to use the command line and 'hack' the config first.

I agree, and it's an old complaint that it was difficult to add such
things post-install.  You're also out of luck if there isn't a package
for the locale that you want.

Thanks Tim. It doesn't surprise me, I've generally found the vendor GUI tools in RH/Fedora to be one of its weak points.

--
Ian Chapman.