Re: How to use flash drive ?

Tim wrote:
If you're referring to those warnings about "has different
physical/logical beginnings," I see similar errors on other memory
devices acting as disc drives (all sorts of drive partitioning or sizing
complaints, etc.).  They're not quite formatted according to how Linux
expects, yet it works.

I wouldn't format them as EXT3, that involves lots of writing to the
drive, and that wears them out very quickly.  They have a finite life,
mainly determined by how often they're written to.  You want to use a
filing system that avoids writing unless it has to (like when you save a
file), or using mounting parameters that come to the same thing.  Some
filing systems write back to the drive whenever you access a file, even
just to read it, recording the access date.

Think of them like giant floppy disks:  Not too reliable, useful for
temporary shuffling of files.

Yes, I am aware of the limited number of read write cycles on flash memory. I really don't have much need for it but since I have it it appears to offer another way of transferring configuration information between FC-6 and F-7 on this computer.

I would like to retain some continuity in my thunderbird mail files for a change, perhaps even carry over the mail filters. No matter what I do I never seem to have everything saved when the time comes to reconfigure a new version! I'm just not that well organized ...

I would have been better off not looking at the device with fdisk ... That caused me concern.

Bob