Re: Portsentry & apcupsd & Fedora 7

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 05:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> [...]
> >>‘accept’ differ in signedness
> >>./portsentry.c: In function ‘PortSentryModeUDP’:
> >>./portsentry.c:1384: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 6 of
> >>‘recvfrom’ differ in signedness
> >>./portsentry.c: In function ‘Usage’:
> >>./portsentry.c:1584: error: missing terminating " character
> >>./portsentry.c:1585: error: ‘sourceforget’ undeclared (first use in this
> >>function)
> >>./portsentry.c:1585: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> >>once
> >>./portsentry.c:1585: error: for each function it appears in.)
> >>./portsentry.c:1585: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘dot’
> >>./portsentry.c:1585: error: stray ‘\’ in program
> >>./portsentry.c:1585: error: missing terminating " character
> >>./portsentry.c:1595: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
> >>make: *** [linux] Error 1
> >
> >As an old portsentry fan I had to go take a look at it again, and I found
> > that file's line 1585 to have been mangled by a line wrapper function in
> > somebodies editor.  Pull the next line up to make a long line out of it,
> > and for completeness, delete the final t in "sourceforget".  No idea where
> > that came from.  Then see if it will build.
> >
> >And now I'm wondering if the whole archive file hasn't been compromised, I
> >just found another reference to sourceforget.net in the README.install.
> >There is such a site, but it has no connection to portsentry.
> >
> >For that reason, I added craigrowland at users dot sourceforge dot net to
> > the To: list above.  Maybe he can refresh that file on sourceforge and
> > restore our paranoia.  However, I note that the bugtracker has an entry,
> > unresolved, dated in October of 2003, the year it was moved to sourceforge.
> >
> >I liked portsentry.  Between that, iptables and tcpwrappers, nothing got
> > past an old rh7.3 box I used for a firewall for 5 or 6 years.  The logs
> > said many thousands tried though.  But even that was cut back by 99.9% when
> > I got dsl, found roaring penguins PPPoE was crap and bought a linksys
> > BEFSR41 router. It then stopped the huge majority of that crap.  Now I'm
> > using dd-wrt on another old box to replace both of those boxes, and its
> > just as bulletproof & uses 300 watts less power...
>
> And I regret to say that craigrowland at sourceforge dot net apparently
> aliases to crowland at cisco dot com, and then bounces with a 551, unknown
> user.  I went to google and found him as Craig H. Rowland, but nothing newer
> than 2003 seems to be extant on the net, like he has simply ceased to exist.
>
> So fix it as above, but at this point it appears that code is in need of a new
> maintainer.  The license is the CPL, not GPL, so read it carefully.
>
> >--
> >Cheers, Gene
> >"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> >-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> >My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my

portsentry appears to compile and install:

# make linux
SYSTYPE=linux
Making
cc -O -Wall -DLINUX -DSUPPORT_STEALTH -o ./portsentry ./portsentry.c \
                ./portsentry_io.c ./portsentry_util.c
./portsentry.c: In function ‘PortSentryModeTCP’:
./portsentry.c:1187: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of
‘accept’ differ in signedness
./portsentry.c: In function ‘PortSentryModeUDP’:
./portsentry.c:1384: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 6 of
‘recvfrom’ differ in signedness

# make install
Creating psionic directory /usr/local/psionic
Setting directory permissions
Creating portsentry directory /usr/local/psionic/portsentry
Setting directory permissions
chmod 700 /usr/local/psionic/portsentry
Copying files
cp ./portsentry.conf /usr/local/psionic/portsentry
cp ./portsentry.ignore /usr/local/psionic/portsentry
cp ./portsentry /usr/local/psionic/portsentry
Setting permissions
chmod 600 /usr/local/psionic/portsentry/portsentry.ignore
chmod 600 /usr/local/psionic/portsentry/portsentry.conf
chmod 700 /usr/local/psionic/portsentry/portsentry

Edit /usr/local/psionic/portsentry/portsentry.conf and change
your settings if you haven't already. (route, etc)

WARNING: This version and above now use a new
directory structure for storing the program
and config files (/usr/local/psionic/portsentry).
Please make sure you delete the old files when
the testing of this install is complete.

Now I will have to configure it. Any idea on how to keep apcupsd (which
uses port 3551 opened through the firewall) running? The ups is
connected by a usb cable. When portsentry was running under FC6, I could
not get apcupsd to run. I have it running on other systems not using
portsentry.

Rick B.