Re: Error: Missing Dependency: xine-lib = 1.1.7 is needed by package xine-lib-extras-nonfree

On 6/17/07, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16/06/07, Kelly wrote:

> This isn't the first time this has happened, and I doubt it'll be the last.
> It's a side effect of having to run multiple repositories...
>
> (When I was running FC5 a few months ago, this would happen pretty much every
> update)

It should always be "Fedora first, Livna second" when breaking
dependencies in an update. A hierarchy of repositories.

Fedora packagers and Livna packagers can try to coordinate their
updates, but nevertheless Livna would usually rebuild packages against
released Fedora updates (unless Livna started doing fragile things
like building against Fedora Test Updates or the Fedora Extras
needsign repo). In either case, there would be a window during which
dependencies are broken until the two repos are in sync again. The
window gets bigger when Livna releases an update in advance that
breaks deps (e.g. the xine-lib-extras-nonfree in this thread), and
when it takes an unknown time for Fedora rel-eng to release the
corresponding update (e.g. (xine-lib).

Would it be nice if theres a program that'll check dependency problems
and file conflicts across multiple repositories .. by checking the
repository metadatas perhaps ..

regards
Hikaru
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail