Re: Updates

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 09:44 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> dexter wrote:
> > On Thu June 14 2007 19:22:25 Karl Larsen wrote:
> >>     I had to load a new FC6 on my laptop and when I brought it up the
> >> Package Updater told me there was 277 Updates! I see they are many of
> >> them just replacement RPM's of the whole thing. I used to hate Windows
> >> for all their update packages :-)
> >>
> >> Karl
> >
> > Next time download the fedora unity product they respin all the updates.
> >

> > ...dex
> >

> One of our IT people installed F7 and was shocked to see >500meg of
> updates.  Though as he said, the same for Ubuntu.
>
> For a home user this is a pain but no different than a clean install of
> Windows.  Of course you don't have to worry about getting hacked or a
> virus until you get the updates done.
>
> I will have to look at the Fedora Unity for my install at the end of the
> month.  :)

Also, check out yum-presto.  Presto downloads only deltas of installed
RPMs.  It's very efficient for downloading, but pays for it a little in
processing time to rebuild the new RPMs from the deltas.

Right now, the default install points at Presto repos that are no longer
available 8^(, but there are apparently some other sources in the mirror
list.  Maybe the next update will include working repos?
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu