Re: monitoring internet traffic

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 09:56 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> The applet is a great idea. I've made a temporary fix with a script
> that extracts the data from /proc/net/dev, which at least gets the
> situation under control. My ISP (Hughes) does not acknowledge the
> existence of Linux, so I can forget about any help in that area. Even
> worse, the data that they provide is late by an hour or more, so if I
> exceed their limit, I'm back to modem speeds for a day before I know
> it.

My ISP's is similarly delayed, so it's merely an indication of the
trend.  You do know when to start being careful, though (mine has graphs
of usage versus days, and changes colours as you get close to the
limit).  Monitoring your own usage, directly, has the advantage that you
know what's happening, but only so long as you don't have holes in your
data, and you know when your ISP restarts the counter.  There's also the
disadvantage the ISP only cares about their counter, if yours differs
from theirs, you're stuffed.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.