Re: torrents/F-7-i386-disc1.iso.torrent

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
Can I do - wget
http://bitwagon.com:6969/torrents/F-7-i386-disc1.iso.torrent  and write
to a cd from the resulting file?  Will it even download that way?
No - this will download the torrent file. (The file that provides
the information to a bit torrent client so it can download the
file(s).)
Can I simply remove the .torrent from the file name or is this in some unique
format?
You could if the site had the .iso file in the same directory as the
torrent, and was allowing downloads, but it probably doesn't. Think
of the .torrent as instructions on how to download the file(s). A
torrent can be instructions for downloading more then one file, as
well as one or more directories to put them in.
I have hesitated to share in a bittorrent download because of the
limitations imposed by my ISP, 5 gigs per 30 days upload, which we are
often close to.  I believe they normally want you to share in the data
transfer scheme.

You download will normally be drastically slower if you are not
sharing - you can still download it that way, but it will probably
take a lot longer. The idea is that people that share get a higher
priority for downloads then people that do not.

Mikkel
Ok, Thanks to all for the information, I don't need to download any more copies of F-7 now and can't afford to burn up the bandwidth anyway until my numbers drop down a bit for this past month. But I know what is expected and it really doesn't fit the limitations that go with the satellite ISP's such as Wildblue and Hughes. As for the high speed cable ISP's like Road Runner, I don't think anyone really knows if they limit usage in any way, at least I haven't found anything published although I would not be surprised if they do?

Bob Goodwin