Re: FC6 --> F7: dead mouse

On 6/7/07, Colin Brace <cb@xxxxxx> wrote:

I have upgraded my FC6 system to Fedora 7 from DVD. When I log into
Gnome, things look OK, except that the mouse isn't working. The
pointer is displayed but there is no movement.

I am using a Logitech Navigator wireless keyboard/mouse combo
connected via PS/2 ports. The mouse  worked fine in FC6, as well as in
the DVD install program, so I think I can safely assume there are no
hardware issues.

FWIW: If I plug a USB mouse it is automatically recognized (dmesg) and
activated in a fullscreen terminal, but likewise doesn't function in
X/Gnome.

I am guessing the problem might be some previous setting in xorg.conf.
Any tips on how to proceed?

[Following up my original post]

Despite following various leads, I still haven't solved this problem.

One thread I found suggested disabling the graphic bootup by removing
'rhgb' from the kernel line in grub's menu.lst.
(<http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=156430>)

Another suggested modifying xorg.conf by adding Option "HWCursor"
"false" under the section "Device"
(<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2783481#post2783481>).

Alas, neither helped.

I have also installed the nvidia legacy driver but no mouse with that
nor the standard unaccelerated video driver.

To recap: the USB mouse does work in a fullscreen terminal, but
neither it nor the PS/2 mouse works in X.

I am still hoping to be able to fix this as I am reluctant to go back
to FC6 or move to Ubuntu. Suggestions anyone???

--
 Colin Brace
 Amsterdam