Re: Fedora vs OpenSuse

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 08:12 +0200, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My University wants to force us all to use OpenSuse. Up to now I'm a happy
> Fedora user. So can you help to find more arguments why I should keep using
> Fedora?

Have they given you any reason?  Perhaps they have absorbed the M$ FUD?
Or do they know something that we don't?  But basically I suspect that
there is not much difference between distributions, and for a full
network, using one with all the bells and whistles, warts and all, that
can be simply installed and maintained by student staff might be pushing
them away from Fedora, due to things like the video driver issue as the
primary example, but also video, wireless and a few other bits that
don't play well without admin intervention, and some exploratory setup.

	Basically OpenSuse is probably being recommended by someone in their IT
staff, probably for the reasons I discussed above, but possibly the
department head may be Microsoft knowledgeable and therefore trusts a
company with a known M$ relationship.

Regards,
Les H