Re: Strange net device __tmp*

Cameron Simpson wrote:
I have this happen with my wireless interface (ipw2200) from time to
time, and I'm fairly sure it happened under FC6 too.

I have a theory, based entirely on conjecture and without a shred of
evidence. I think interfaces go through a period of being named __tmp*
during the driver load - I'm guessing after being detected, but before
the hardware initialisation has completed. The something happens that
prevents the final naming from completing. It's very bodgy looking.

A reboot is my usual fix (ugh, what a hack!). I have see a handy tool
somewhere for renaming interfaces; you could try that. It was called
"nameif" or something like that.

Thanks for the info and pointer to nameif. It doesn't bother me much, because my only real interface is always properly named. The biggest annoyance so far is that gkrellm displays a tab (now that I'm looking at it again) for each interface in its configuration dialog, and for some reason there are lots (like 15) of these __tmp* ones. Also cipsec0, dev6984, dev28613, dev1804289383, ppp0, sit0, tun, and tun0! The dialog ends up about four screens wide. It all seems strange, but probably not dangerous, I guess.

reid