Re: FC6 upgrade to FC7 - blank desktop

Todd Zullinger writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
I upgraded FC6 to FC7.  I boot, login from gdm, and get…

… a complete blank desktop, with just the new background picture.
Nothing starts.

Shouldn't your old background get used?

No errors in X's log files.  X comes up fine and initializes, but
the session does not start.

Just to check, is there anything in ~/.xsession-errors?

Do you have a ~/.xsession or ~/.Xclients script that starts your
session or are you just using the default?

Tried removing all .gnome* and .gconf* files from my home directory
-- made no difference.

You probably already tried, but does a new user account work properly
at least?

A new account works.

Now, I've figured out that if: after starting X in the old account, I look at the process table, I see a crapload of processes hanging on a connect to /tmp/.esd/socket. If I kill the esd process, the desktop comes out. Panels and a whole of other stuff is still screwed up, but at least the desktop comes up.

In a freshly-created account, the desktop comes up fine.

Now, if I take the existing account, rename the home directory, create a blank new home directory in its place, log in, and try to start X, it still hangs in esd!