Re: x86_64

Hi Frank

I have a new Core 2 Duo system that I have run both 32 and 64 bit F7 on. I have noticed since upgrading to 64 bit that everything seems to run just a little bit faster. It is not a big increase, just the whole system seems to be a little faster.

This is odd, given that everything I have read says that there will be no real difference for a desktop user. Perhaps I am imagining it? Perhaps not.

Other than that, I have had a few issues where things like Eclipse PDT (PHP dev plugin for Eclipse) required a 32 bit JVM. I just installed the second (32 bit) JVM and I was ok.

So, no real problems with 64 bit, and perhaps some benefit.

Just my experience of course, so no warranty implied etc, etc ...

Regards,
Langdon

Frank Cox wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a new computer and am thinking about getting
either an Intel Core 2 Duo or a Quad Core.

As I have never used 64-bit Fedora (or 64-bit anything) before, could someone
give me a run-down on the advantages and otherwise?

Why would I want to run 64-bit Fedora?

Why would I want to stick with "regular" Fedora instead?

Thanks for any insights.