Re: Yum repair

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I upgraded FC-6 to F-7 on an Athlon64 machine,
>> and the process hung several (3 I think) times during installation.
>> Each time I re-started the machine,
>> the number of packages was greatly reduced: 950 ... 400 ... 50.
>>
>> The system works fine,
>> but it is pretty clear all the packages were not properly installed.
>> Eg when I ran "yum update" after the installation
>> only 30 or so packages were downloaded,
>> while on other systems the number was 300-400.
>>
>> Is there any way of checking that everything has been downloaded?

> Try package-cleanup in yum-utils.

Thanks very much.
Actually, my yum setup on this machine was so screwed up
that "sudo yum install yum-utils" got the response
that there was nothing to do,
even though package-cleanup was not found.

So I found the yum-utils rpm, and ran "rpm -Uvh yum-utils*".
It wasn't really clear what argument to give package-cleanup
but I said "sudo package-cleanup --cleandupes".
This cleared out 100-200 fc6 packages,
and now when I run "sudo yum update"
over 100 packages are updated or installed.

I'll study package-cleanup more carefully,
and see if there are any other arguments I should give.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366