Re: FC6 Nautilus CD/DVD creator problem

Andrew Kelly wrote:
On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 20:59 +0930, Tim wrote:
Paul Erickson:
I keep getting an "Insert a writable or blank disc" message
Andrew Kelly:
I discovered that the 3 disks which I been trying to use had been, er...
grabbed from the wrong stack. They weren't blank.

So, user error on my part.

Although, to my defence I have to say that absolutely no helpful message
is returned. Something as simple as "disk not blank" would have saved me
a ton of stress and a wasted hour.
*You* didn't get the message about inserting a *writable* or *blank*
disc?  The inference is that the one in the drive *isn't*.

Yes, agreed. But that's the same message you get when you first fire
things up and/or the drive is empty. It doesn't change a whit when you
try to feed it non-blank disks and the assumption that us mortals make
is that the crap isn't working. In fact, I think I actually yelled "What
is this MS BS?"

Heck, I'd still be assuming that the Nautilus burner didn't survive the
trip to FC7 if I hadn't have swapped to a different bit of software and
gotten a useful hint. Wait, let's be honest here. That message was crap too, but at least it
got me questioning things.

Sometimes it's like the last decade of administering *nix systems never
happened... Turn 40 and the warranty runs out. Junk starts breaking.
[sigh]

Andy
Thanks for the reply. I wondered about that also, and double checked the disks, and when I rebooted into XP could write to the same disk fine. It seems to be something to do with the HP cdwriter 8100. I can copy a music disk in K3B fine, but it chokes when I try to copy a "data" disk.

Is anyone aware of any specific driver issues with this hardware?

Thanks again.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt@xxxxxxxxx

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia
"The Malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous." - Churchill