Re: FC7 bug

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| From: Jeffrey Ross <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>

| Well looks like my lock-up problem is caused by the same bug, I got a copy
| of the output on a serial console

I'm glad to hear that you got a serial console working.  I sure with I
had a serial port.

| BUG: warning at kernel/softirq.c:138/local_bh_enable() (Tainted: G   M  )

This is not a panic report.  Execution continues after a BUG.  So this
is probably not the cause of your lockups.  Actually, it might be part
of the same problem, but this message does not itself signify a
lockup.

| Question, why is my kernel "Tainted"  I have not installed anything that
| wasn't either on the distro DVD or in the fedora repo.

Interesting question.  I googled and found this document:
  https://secure-support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/250/3582750_f.SAL_Public.html

It seems that the taint is M: a machine check interrupt happened.  I
don't really know how serious that is.  I'd expect something that was
a machine check to get logged.  Do you see anything looking back in
/var/log/messages?
Looking through the /var/log/messages I see that the error I listed was printed after they system completed a due to the reset button was pressed. There in fact was nothing sent to the console when the machine locked up.

Also I'm not sure what I'm looking for that would cause the machine check, nor do I really see anything unusual.

So the question remains, what's causing the lock-ups?

Jeff