Re: What should Firefox do with this file?

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 19:30, ron wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Clicking on mp3 file url in firefox. I got the standard dialog box:

>  What should Firefox do with this file?
>
> [] Open with [application (default)]
>
> [] Save to Disk
>
> [] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.

> I picked 'Open with [application (default)]' and 'Do this
> automatically for files like this from now on.'
>
> Now when I click on an mp3 file url, the file downloads and is
> automatically played.
>
> How can I get the dialog box back so I can 'Save to Disk'.
>
> -ron-

Hi Ron. I see you've had some responses to your question, and hope you've got
the dialog box back.

I've always hated these "allways do this" checkboxes. The dialog box never
tells you which file to go to if you want to revert this action of checking
the box.

One I came across recently was to do with Kmail. Someone had put the delete
icon on the actions bar. This, when you click on it brings up a dialog box
for you to confirm the deletion of a file, along with the option of an
"allways do this" checkbox. I looked in ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc, and
there was no entry for this. Just for fun I checked the box, and lo and
behold a new line appeared in ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc. I'm not booted
into the distro I tried it on at the mo, but IIRC it gave a true/false option
to the dialog box, so you can get the dialog box back, but only when you know
where to look.

I could go on with this, and complaining about the way that removable media is
handled now. For the hell of it I will do.

You put a music cd in the drive, and a dialog box now comes up saying "well
man, what do you want me to do with this?". this along with a check box
saying "allways take this action for this sort of media", or something like
that. So I stupidly check the box.

Now I put a data cdrom in the drive, and check the box for allways do this for
this media.

Now I have a cdrom from a music magazine, and this has both audio, and data on
it.

What happens now when I load the cdrom????

Perhaps I'm taking the pish here, but did like it when the removable media
drives were in /etc/fstab. I could mount a data disc from Kdiskfree with no
problems, and music cd's would run using Kscd.

Enough said.

Nigel.