Re: network monitoring

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 07:37:14 Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> El Martes, 5 de Junio de 2007 20:11, Anne Wilson escribió:

> > > If that's true, why not only keeping a log of the company instant
> > > messaging system? (If available)
> > >
> > > The point was, I'd like to know if he's going to inform his users about
> > > all this stuff
> >
> > UK law admits that there are some situations where it is necessary or
> > desirable.  Recording such traffic is perfectly legal, *providing* the
> > individual's contract of employment states that it is company policy.
>
> Like for example....? (just curiosity)

As someone remarked about the US, employers here are legally responsible for
the actions of their employees.  I can't tell you any specific circumstances
where companies would decide that it is necessary.  I believe that companies
where a lot of employees have Internet access do sometimes put this into
their policy, not to use routinely, but in case they need to investigate a
problem.  The key point is that employees must have been told in their
contract that they can be monitored.  It cannot be legally done without the
knowledge of the employee in question.

Anne