Re: binding IPs

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 14:44:29 +0800,
>   LC <listfedora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thanks. This box is a samba machine. I want to allow local users and remote
>> users to access it. I have 2 NIC on this box. eth0 is on a public
>> IP(12.73.1.5) and eth1 is on the local IP(192.168.1.5). But how do i set
>> the gateway? Can i specify the public gateway for eth0(12.73.1.1) and the
>> gateway for eth1 (192.168.1.1) and as for the gateway in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network i will remove it. Will this work?
>
> The gateway (default route) should be on the nic that faces the internet.
> It should be whatever is appropiate for the network connection through
> your ISP.
> There is no gateway associated with your nic facing your internal network.
> Both nics should have an appropiate netmask describing the ip addresses
> that have direct links to them.

Gateway and default route are NOT the same thing. The default route
uses a gateway, but you can also have a gateway to a specific
network. For example, you can have a network 192.168.6.0 that is
accesses by going through a machine at 192.168.1.25. with this,
192.168.1.25 would be the gateway to the 192.168.6.0 network. Note,
this is not the default route, just the route to the 192.168.6.0
network.

While there can be more then one route, and more then one gateway,
you normally do not want more then one default route. The default
route is the route used when none of the other routes match up. It
usually points to the Internet.

Now, as far as allowing remote users to access the Samba server, you
may run into other problems. It is not unusual for ISP's to block
this traffic. I believe they started this to protect windows users
from sharing their files all over the Internet without knowing it.
Unless you do not care who can access the files, you do NOT want to
give Internet access to your Samba server. Consider using a VPN
instead. That way, you can encrypt the traffic over the Internet as
well as limiting who can connect.

Mikkel