Re: Why Fedora needs so much RAM?

Andreas Bernauer wrote:
frank wang wrote on Thu, May 31 2007 at 22:14 (-0700):

Hi,

I tried to run live CD of fedora 7. In the boot up menu, one item is
run from RAM. It requires 1GB+ memory. I wondered why fedora 7 takes
so much memory. Recently, I am looking for a linux that requires less
memory. Supprisingly, Puppy2 and Damn Small Linux can run linux from
RAM with 128 MB and 48 MB ram.

As someone else already mentioned on this list, fedora does not "require"
that much RAM, but uses the RAM that is available to do the best out of it, eg. use it as a disk cache (which, btw, is a good thing to do
when you use fedora from CD).

[snip]

Fedora cannot run in 16MB of RAM, which DSL assuredly will.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.