Re: What Intel Chipsets run 64bit Linux?

| From:  <clemens@xxxxxxx>

| A very dumb question, but then having had a REAL 64 bit
| machine on my desk years ago (an alpha)  Ive never been
| impressed with the Intel/AMD implementations of '64bit'.

Of course Intel owns the Alpha now.  But I hear that a number of the
ideas and designers were used in the AMD chips.

| So, what Intel chip sets qualify to run 64 bit Linux.

I've heard that 64-bit mode is a tack on to the P4 design so it is
best avoided.  In particular, 64-bit operations have to go through the
ALU twice.  I have not verified this because I find the P4 generally
unattractive anyway.

The Intel Core does not implement 64 bit.

The Intel Core 2 does a good job of implementing 64 bit.

A Xeon is either a P4, Core, or Core 2 and behaves correspondingly
(old Xeons might be P3 or even P2, neither of which had 64 bit
support).

Itanium is 64 bit.

AMD does a good job of implementing 64 bit.  Older Athlon (without 64
in their name) and Semprons don't implement it.  I'm not sure how you
can tell whether a particular Sempron implements it.

Google and Wikipedia are your friends.