Re: $HOME/bin

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Hello.
> I installed Fedora 7 on one of my machines. In setting it up, I'm trying
> out what I've learned, and expand my knowledge.
>
> One application that I use (BOINC, a distributed processing system) has
> some help pages off-site. The person states that a dir '$HOME/bin'
> should exist; if not, it should be created. (Btw, I didn't know about
> this dir until now.)
>
> I see that Fedora anticipates this (it was in the path already).
> However, I don't understand why it's not hidden (i.e. '.bin'). Is this
> normal?

Yes, it is normal. Why would you want to hide it? this is where you
would also put any scripts you create for your own use. You can also
install private binary programs here. There is one catch - if you
have /home on its own partition, it can be mounted with the noexec
option, and then the programs and scripts in ~/bin will not be
executable.

Mikkel