Re: How to get rid of FC8 stuff?

Arch Willingham wrote:
... Is there any way to fix what this morning's update did? I.E. can
I replace the FC8 files with FC7 files?

Hah! I'm not the only fool! I was just too embarrassed to admit it ;-)

First I installed the 'release' rpm for 7:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm

Then I made a list of all the fc8 updates:
# grep 'May 31' /var/log/yum.log | grep Updated | sed -e "s/ */\t/g" >updates_fc8

The only way I know of to roll those back is to

1) identify the current fc7 package:
# yum list 'bzip2*'

2) download the rpm:
# wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/{bzip2,bzip2-libs}-1.0.4-10.fc7.i386.rpm

3) install them with
# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage bzip2-*.rpm

That's not so easy to script at a level I would trust not to make things worse, so I'm just sticking to doing it by hand.

Some of the packages have some pretty hairy dependencies (filesystem!), so I hope I don't break everything trying to roll them back.

Actually, everything seems to be working fine at this point, I would just leave it alone except I'm afraid the fc8 packages would not be updated correctly from here out.

Suggestions appreciated.

<Joe