Re: Basic CD+network installation instructions

At 1:36 AM -0400 6/3/07, Chris Tyler wrote:

Nice work!

>It seems there are several people trying to get Fedora installed on one
>machine that doesn't have a DVD drive (but does have a CD drive), and
>have another Linux machine around with a DVD drive or a DVD iso image.
>
>Here are cut-to-the-chase instructions for using HTTP for a network
>install and the boot.iso image on a CD as the boot media.
>

>One machine A, the one with the DVD drive or image (these instructions
>assume that this system is running FC6, but these should be easily
>adapted to other distributions or releases):
>
>1. Mount the installation image:

Do these commands as root.

>If the image is on DVD and was automatically mounted: find the
>mountpoint and replace "/mnt/f7" with that mountpoint in all of the
>following instructions
>
>If the image is on DVD and is not automatically mounted: mkdir /mnt/f7 ;
>mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/f7
>
>If the image is in an .iso file: mkdir /mnt/f7 ; mount -o loop
>ISOFILE /mnt/f7
>
>(Where ISOFILE is the name of your DVD iso image,
>e.g., /tmp/Fedora-7-i386/F-7-i386-DVD.iso )
>

>2. Burn the 'images/boot.iso' file to a CD:
>
>If the image is on DVD:
>- Get the boot.iso file: cp /mnt/f7/images/boot.iso /tmp/
>- Unmount the DVD: umount /mnt/f7
>- Swap the DVD for a blank CD
>- Burn it: cdrecord -dao -dev=/dev/cdrom /tmp/boot.iso

Burning /can/ be done as a normal user.  (But you're already root, right?)

>If the installation image is in an .iso file:
>- Insert a blank CD
>- Burn it: cdrecord -dao -dev=/dev/cdrom /mnt/f7/images/boot.iso
>
>Remove the CD now.
>
>ALTERNATIVE: Use the images/diskboot.img file on a USB flash drive.
>(Required warning: this will erase all data on your USB flash drive).
>Insert the USB flash drive, check the drive ID, then issue this command:
>
>   dd if=/mnt/f7/images/diskboot.img of=/dev/sd?
>
>Where /dev/sd? is the device name for your flash drive.
>
>(You'll need to partition and format your USB flash drive later to get
>the full capacity back: DRIVE=/dev/sd? ; dd if=/dev/zero of=$DRIVE
>bs=512 count=1 ; parted $DRIVE mklabel msdos ; parted -- $DRIVE mkpart
>primary fat32 1 -1 ; mkfs -t vfat ${DRIVE}1 ).
>

>3. If the installation image is on a DVD and you burned a CD boot disk,
>repeat step 1 to get the DVD mounted again.
>
>4. Install Apache if necessary: yum install -y apache
>
>5. Set up Apache to serve the F7 files:
>
>   ln -s /mnt/f7 /var/www/html/fedora
>   setenforce 0
>   service httpd start
>
>The 'setenforce 0' is required because the security context of the F7
>files does not permit them to be served by httpd.

Would this be a smaller hammer?

    # setsebool httpd_disable_trans on

Someone with more SELinux knowledge may know a better way to serve
write-protected content that has the wrong security context.